Forum Navigation
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

Bhagavad Gita Study Group

Hi all.

I would like to initiate a Bhagavad Gita study group. The group would meet for an hour once a week to discuss the Bhagavad Gita, in relation to human spirituality and also the LP teachings. We're going to use three translations for this group, one by Sri Aurobindo, one by Easwaran Eknath, and one by Georg and Brenda Feurersting. The Eknath version is the one we will be focusing on, since it is the most accessible. The other two are only to be used for comparison, specifically to check and verify the Eknath translation. Details below

I’m thinking Thursdays 4:00 pm MST. How would this work for people?

Additional content is available to LP members only. To get the full message, become a member, register and login.

Versions

Aurobindo, Sri, tran. 2014. The Bhagavad Gita. India: Sri Aurobindo Ashram Trust.

Eknath, Easwaran. 2007. The Bhagavad Gita. California: Nilgiri Press.

Feuerstein, Georg, and Brenda Feuerstein, trans. 2011. The Bhagavad-Gita: A New Translation. Boston: Shambhala.

-- All you need is love...

Thank you for offering this. I would be in general interested to be part of the LP study group and to have a meeting regularly on whatever subject.

I also would be interested to know, why have you chosen this book. This book or what it talks about is really powerful and made a very strong impression on my thinking about life and also about our actions in life. But I am curious to know, what moved you to choose it as a subject for the study group?

But 4 pm MST is 3:30 AM our IST time, which is not possible for me. I could read the text and maybe send my written quesions for discussion and then listen to the recording? Would this be available, the recording I mean?

What about an 11:00 am (MST) start. that would be late at night, but not too late.

I chose this one to start because I found a) an accessible translation (Eknath) that b)  seems quite accurate, and c) the LP and the Gita seem to be saying exactly the same things. Eknath is written in modern language by someone who is fluent in English and Sanskrit (very rare). It also seems accurate. I compared several passages in Eknath with those in the other two respected sources and found them to line up. Finally, this starts a project I've been meaning to do for some time, which is to compare the LP with other teachings. I never read the Gita, the bible, or any other spiritual text, before I started putting the LP together. So I'm curious to see how the LP lines up, and whether or not it does what I say it does, which is to shed light on traditional teachings.

Anybody else interested? It would be nice to have at least two to start with.

-- All you need is love...

11 AM I should manage. Thank you for offering another time and for the explanation.

I hope some more people will join and we could have a regular study group. Waiting for that!

Recent forum posts

Study Group
Study Group
Connection Supplements
Study Group
Study Group
Study Group
Simple breathing exercise could a …
Skip to toolbar