Forums

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumMentor Study: Deep studyEmotions
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

Emotions

I think I've been asking myself this for some time now. But what are emotions?

Do they exist in a "real" way? How to conceptualize them? What are their features? What controls what? Does the mind control (influence) the emotions, or the emotions the mind? Both?

So, a couple of nights ago I got some glimpses on what emotions are.

As I was meditating, suddenly I could feel the emergence of emotions in my body. Interestingly, I caught a glimpse of their emergence. So I felt where it started, and how it expanded, and I observed how this expansion affects my body, and how my body reacts to the emotions. Interestingly, I felt how the field expands well beyond my own body.

PS: The reason I felt this clearly is because, frankly, when my CQ is very high, my body is able to have extrasensory sensations. So that I can feel all sorts of energy fields in a space around me up to a meter or so. My body developed this ability at the very start of my spiritual quest. It feels as if the space around you is part of you. It's as if your body expands in a very very subtle way. The extrasensory feelings are clearly delineated from the actual body, mainly because the feelings are way weaker. Note that I posted several posts which made use of this ability. For instance the post where I proposed that the 7th chakra "infuses" reality with awareness/consciousness, or where I contended that reality is permeated by consciousness/awareness, or where I shared the feeling that may emerge from the root chakra, that of "sitting on the seat of life". These contentions all made use of "extrasensory sensations". Due to the extrasensory sensations, it is possible to dwelve deeper into the makings of the universe. It offers an excellent tool for analysis and is especially helpful in discernment of certain things.

I felt vividly that emotions are fields. Much like electric fields. You can also imagine them as a "cloud" or "mist" "floating" around. However, I think that by far the more accurate way to put it is to say they are fields. This is nothing new I guess. Since Mike already implied this by saying in one (or even several actually) of the books that we draw from the energies that "float around". Nonetheless, I'm happy I made the experience, because it gives such information some more empirical grounding. I think it's great when we put our abilities together in order to progress and figure out and achieve stuff.

Anyhow, back to some conclusions.

Being fields, emotions occupy space.

This is important, because we may conclude several things from this.

First, when the body creates emotions, it simply acts as a generator of an emotional field.
What we ultimately feel is that part of the emotionally charged space that our current physical position occupies.

Thus, emotions do not belong to a specific body. Emotions are generated, infused into physical space and that part of the physical space that is occupied by our bodies is then felt as an emotion. Emotions might also have the trait that they stick to our physical body. I'm not sure of that yet.

Anyhow, this explains some things. For instance the following:

Local Implications

- when there is mass panic. A ripple of emotions is being generated, and everyone in the croud is being swept by the specific emotion which creates even more panic. This would not be possible if emotions were not a field but generated chemically in the body.
- very similarly, feelings of unity, feelings of nationalism, feelings of hatred/ enmity etc. may also be infused into a space, and large crouds will pick up the emotions and act upon them. This might also help explain the behavior of crowds in the world wars, how crowds are manipulated emotionally via the PR industry, why media outlets are so powerful, and many other things.

These examples hint towards why mobs tend to develop unitary "basic" emotions. The emotional state of a mob is almost always onedimensional, in the sense that it is not a complex emotion. The emotions generated by a mob are usually a single emotion that is rather basic in its nature.

Why? Because emotions are generated in the PUs, but they occupy space around the PU. Others who did not generate that emotion are in the emotional field, and start to feel it, too. Thereby, they start being in the same "mode" as the ones who generated the emotion initially and thus, these people start creating the very same emotion, too. The general outcome of this chain of events is the creation of a general emotion that serves as a "common-denominator-emotion". It is this "common-denominator-emotion" that is basic, because it regulates all shades of the initial emotions into a single, common denominator. Even if every emotion that is generated by every single PU in the mob is slightly different, all the slight differences - which represent the complexity of emotions - is being lost due to superposition. This can be described mathematically easily.

Much can be conjectured from this, if we assume that emotions are fields that occupy space.

* emotions are fields that seem to be scalar in nature. They don't have a direction, but merely an intensity level.
* emotions are durable. They are not momentary things. Emotions might posses a half-life, in the sense that they disintegrate with time. For now, it suffices to say that they are not momentary things.
* while being generated, the emotional field is locally restricted. The farther away from the place of the generation, the less intensity the emotional field will have. I suggest the formula with respect to the felt intensity to be:

Felt Emotional Intensity = a* strenght of generated emotion/r²

Where "a" is a natural constant for emotions, (akin to "G" as the constant of gravity) and "r" the distance to the centre of the emotion generator.

* emotions conform with the law of superposition. Meaning that if two or more persons generate the same emotion in the vicinity of each other, the general emotional intensity they might feel adds up.

Temporal Implications

- Cases in which a (verbal) fight happened in a room, and someone walks in and feels the "heavy air" or whatever it is called in the given culture. If emotions were not fields, it is wholly unintelligible how such a thing may happen.

This shows that emotions are temporally stable and that they "stick" to space.

Emotions and Mind

It is worth asking what controls/affects what.

In my eyes, they are both affecting each other. Perhaps similar to what happens with electromagnetic waves. A magnetic field generates an electric field, and vice versa.

However, as it seems to me, people who awakened, and especially those who managed to activate, are able to control their emotions mentally. It's worth noting that this control is not exerted via any form of ARM. The emotions are not repressed, nor are these emotions otherwise deflected. At first, the unpleasant emotion is just being accepted the way it is. Then, the person forces a mind-set upon the situation which in turn automatically generates emotions that are fitting for the specific mindset. The mind-set that is created creates an emotional counterpart. Say the mind-set is a mindset that focuses on the divinity of all beings, on the freedom of each individual (including one's own), or similar things, then an emotional counterpart for the specific mindset emerges.

In short, mindsets create heartsets. And vice versa, heartsets create mindsets.

Now, because the manipulation of a mindset is usually easier to achieve than that of a heartset, one might conclude that the person who is aware of her mindset, will usually be able to exert control over her heartset, too. On the other hand, those who are not aware of neither their heartset, nor their mindset, end up in a vicious circle that perpetuates the given state they are in. This puts them in a position that is characterized by lack of power. They become dependent of their fate, especially when triggers exist.

Defining the Mindset

A mindset may be defined as a set of mental images or assumptions that are relatively present in the mind of a person. It is a vague set. It may be described as having a direction. The mindset pre-selects possible interpretations of a given situation, based on the contents of the mental images or assumptions that are part of the mindset.

Defining the Heartset

A heartset may be defined as a set of emotional reactions towards a given situation. Similarly to the mindset, the heartset pre-selects possible emotional reactions towards situations. One might state that the "mode" of the heartset, filters possible emotions with respect to the generation of emotions. When a light shines through a prism, this prism will create many different colors. The heartset may be regarded as a prism that allows only for the pre-selected colors, depending on the configuration of the heartset.

Triggers

Triggers are mental-emotional pathways. They are extreemly short, in the sense that they ignore prolonged analysis and processing from the CNS. Triggers usually arise due to traumatic experience. They are coping strategies for hostile environments.

To disable/disintegrate a trigger, the "shortcut" between the mental-emotional must be disposed of. This may happen by various means.

The trigger automatically loses in power, the more aware a person becomes.

The trigger can be dissolved by reexperiencing the experience that created the trigger with an alternate result in the experience. (Reconsolidation)

The trigger can be dissolved by endorsing a specific mindset. (The mental apparatus restamps the interpretation of the experience the person previously linked to a given circumstance.)

The trigger can be dissolved by endorsing a specific heartset. (The emotional apparatus restamps any emotional experience the person previously linked to a given circumstance.)

Aim, EXCELLENT essay!

G

yes, excellent post & original ideas aim.

would you agree that emotions become more of a concern when one goes along the spiritual path?

i ask because i have found that "dealing with" (i.e. being exposed to) people's "emotional field" that they are directing at me is painful and very very difficult.

it doesn't matter as much what they are saying, but if someone comes at you with a bunch of negativity or hatred or jealousy it is physically very painful. and i find myself fleeing from them

i have to learn more about emotions. i think for most of my adult life i was out of touch with mine

https://www.kundalinisoftware.com May the people of this world be free.

would you agree that emotions become more of a concern when one goes along the spiritual path?

i ask because i have found that "dealing with" (i.e. being exposed to) people's "emotional field" that they are directing at me is painful and very very difficult.

That depends entirely on your mindset and heartset.

I recently had the chance to enter a very strong "emotional field" of a friend of mine. I triggered her hard, with everything I said. And yes, it was not easy, nor relaxing, nor comfortable. In fact, I got quite swept up in the "goo", and I needed to exert considerable mental effort to act as a normal human being, and not an animal. I think I'm a very sensitive guy, so, such experiences do inflict damage unto me. But even so, I somehow was not disheartened by the incident, mainly because I saw clearly that she does not really threaten me, she threatens, belittles, her own vision of me.

I think that emotions are quite powerful. They can be used excellently to all sorts of means. I don't think they are purely a hindrance/ concern. They come with challenges, but also with opportunities. You can inspire people, for instance, which is mainly an emotional state. But, of course, there is lots of negative emotions around, and tons of triggers. Since I managed to regain my ability to feel emotions rather recently, I haven't had the chance to experiment. I feel that they can be a great tool to bring light unto earth. Let's see what the future brings.

Quote from aim on May 21, 2019, 9:00 am

That depends entirely on your mindset and heartset.

can be a great tool to bring light unto earth. Let's see what the future brings.

Thanks Aim; glad to be talking to you in the LP forums.

But I am not sure though what you mean when you say it "depends entirely on one's mindset and heartset."

My experience is that other people's energy and emotions affect me regardless of my own "mindset or heartset."

This is an issue that I am struggling with a lot actually because I spend my time "out in the world" [and thus have to deal with many people who are not necessarily healthy emotionally]

I've noticed that especially when I am in a connected state, that i am very sensitive to other people's energy... to the point that often it is very difficult and uncomfortable for me to be exposed to. it is almost like a form of assault.

maybe one idea would be for me to use some sort of 'protection visualization' more systematically.

Hi Ben

I think being connected and experiencing the toxicities of others is why you are so sensitive. It is not our natural state to be disconnected therefore, connection makes our reactions to toxic persons/environments a visceral experience. One of the things I do, and have coached my clients to do is to visualize a healing bubble - I use white light. I get them to imagine that white light encompassing them and connecting them to the planet and to their safe zones. As they visualize the bubble of safety i.e. white light, I get them to envision that energy/light to encompass their environments, those who are closest to them including the pets, and then I get them to consciously only allow loving, authentic, honest energies/beings to be allowed into their safe space. This exercise allows clients to understand a) when and where and who is making them feel unsafe, which then allows them to create safety plans e.g. how to avoid them, how to communicate in these toxic spaces, and how to develop realistic healthy boundaries. b) this exercise also allows clients to reflect on when they themselves become agitated, anxious, depressed etc. in other words, when they disconnect from their higher self. We then can explore what is happening around them, what defense/coping mechanisms are they employing, what are they neglecting etc. Healing connection exercises such as this one, is designed to get people to trust in their own abilities and emotions in order for them to reconstruct, heal, and learn to live in a connected state in all realms of their lives.

G

Hey Ben,

My experience is that other people's energy and emotions affect me regardless of my own "mindset or heartset."

Excellent querry, glad you noted this.

Well, yes. That is true, they affect you. Only, the question is here, if they influence your behavior or not.

In the above happening, I tried to illustrate precisely this. Having a "good" mindset and/or heartset will not make you immune to the emotional field. Immunity would be equal to numbness here, and that is certainly not healthy in any way imaginable.

However, whether or not the emotional field changes your behavior, self-confidence, self-esteem, mood etc. is a different question. Allow me to illustrate.

Being affected versus being influenced by an emotional field

Here's an example we should all be able to relate to when it comes to being influenced, or merely affected by an emotional field. I know the terms are bad and inprecise, so I kindly ask you to read behind the terms.

Imagine you are in the subway. Someone in your vicinity becomes highly emotional while talking on the phone. The person needs not to scream or to cry. But you feel the intensity of the emotions the person emmits. So, in this case, you may feel the emotions emmited by the person, but not necessarily change your behavior, not even your mood. You know the issue is not related to you in any way, thus, it is way easier not to be influenced. However, one needs boundaries for this. Without boundaries of any sort, it is likely that the incident changes your current state. So, what I want to state is that it is possible to experience the emotional field of someone, without it changing your behavior. Frankly, to me it seems that we almost exclusively get influenced, when our identity is being attacked in some way.

Parameters determining whether or not you will be influenced or merely affected

1) Boundaries

As mentioned, establishing boundaries are one possible tool in this regard.

2) Heartset and Mindset

Another parameter determining whether or not your behavior will be influenced, and if yes, to what degree, are the mindset and the heartset.

First, I'd like you to think about what exactly is a mindset, what a heartset, and how they relate to the question of how emotional fields influence your behavior.

If it's fine with you, I'll make some suggestions, but feel free to come up with your own ideas.

I think that the mindset and heartset both do what Gina described. She states:

As they visualize the bubble of safety i.e. white light, I get them to envision that energy/light to encompass their environments, those who are closest to them including the pets, and then I get them to consciously only allow loving, authentic, honest energies/beings to be allowed into their safe space

To me, this seems that the white barrier and her approach in general is operating as a filter. It filters out whatever the client does not want in her life, and allows for what she wants in her life. If you scrol up to the definitions I gave for "mindset" and "heartset" 2 posts ago, you'll find the same theme.

"The mindset pre-selects possible interpretations of a given situation, based on the contents of the mental images or assumptions that are part of the mindset." And also: "Similarly to the mindset, the heartset pre-selects possible emotional reactions towards situations. One might state that the "mode" of the heartset, filters possible emotions with respect to the generation of emotions. When a light shines through a prism, this prism will create many different colors. The heartset may be regarded as a prism that allows only for the pre-selected colors, depending on the configuration of the heartset."

The big difference being here, that Gina makes them become conscious of what they allow into their space, while the mindset and the heartset are automatisms. That is the advantage, but also the disadvantage of the mindset/heartset. In my eyes, the reason why Gina needs them to become conscious of all those stuff, is because she is tasked with changing their behavior/ empowering them. This requires them to change previous behavioral patterns, perspectives, frankly, they need to change their expectations of life. Why? Because their expectations implicitly and tacitly enable them to live as they live. Without toxic expectations, no toxic life is possible. Not in the long run, at least. You will automatically distance yourself from toxic people, toxic environments and toxic relationships when you have healthy expectations of life. Being conscious of when something is actually toxic or not is an important corrective means.

Triggers exemplify mental-emotional dynamics

I think it is best to clarify how and why triggers work. Why? Because we will understand a lot better how we can disarm emotional fields, or even better, make them work for our purposes.

So, let's imagine that person A says something (in her opinion relatively neutral thing) and person B is triggered hard by the statement. What happens with person B actually? Chronologically we have:

1. The information is taken in, processed, thus interpreted in a certain way.

2. The specific interpretation generates a strong emotional field.

3. The behavior of the person is (strongly) influenced. (by her own emotional field)

4. (and also) The emotional field + the change in behavior of person B is taken in by person A, interpreted in a certain way, generating an emotional field of her own, and possibly changing her behavior, as well.

Logically, if one of the two persons manages to intercept one of the three steps, the vicious circle ends. (At least for one person).

From this alone, we may already extract three different means of control for our behavior.

1. We change our interpretation. This can be done via the mindset. Remember, the mindset offers a filter for possible interpretations. Since the above is a chain-reaction, the behavior of the person remains (almost) unchanged. (Mindset)

2. We pre-select our set of emotional responses. This can be done via the heartset. (Heartset)

3. We force ourselves to have a certain behavior by sheer willpower. This is coupled with repression of some sort. (Optimally, this should be used as a last resort. Constant repression leads to serious problems that potentially need decades of healing. (Willpower)

So, besides setting boundaries, we may also restrict our possible experiences by means of the mindset and heartset. If you think about it, mindset and heartset work very similar to how boundaries work. They are selective boundaries, on the mental, respectively on the emotional plane. Having a pleasant mindset and heartset makes life a lot easier, because one doesn't need to constantly repress things. Additionally, it works automatically, and there is no need to use willpower.

I know that what I wrote is rather theoretical, so here are some examples.

Mindset

- Assume that life is a good life.
- Assume that the universe conspires to achieve your goals. Those goals you cannot achieve are not meant to be, in the sense that it would not have been utile for the highest good.
- Act for the highest good for all living beings.
- Assume that every person always tries to do her best. Every person does what they believe its best - even if from your point of view its clearly not so.
- Understand that every sin of this world is created due to lack of connection.
- Understand that most persons' actions are driven by fears, addictions and unfulfilled needs.
- Understand that everything that exists is part of The Fabric. Nothing is outside of God, thus nothing is not divine. (Which is not a legitimation to hurt, ofc.) This should strongly minimize any sort of judgemental thought processes.

Heartset
- Feel the innocence in children and adults alike.
- Feel the lack of understanding and insight in persons who sin and realize that this is why they sin. (please note, I use "sin" here as an LP term, and not a christian one.) If it helps, picture adults who commit grave sins as children who misbehave.
- As you see how fears, addictions and unfulfilled needs drive people, forgive them for their behavior. This should be easy, for this insight strips you of any reason to keep any grudge.
- Love harmony. Get used to produce harmony, and only accept environments that are harmonious.
- Feel how lovely everything is. The people, the animals, the arts, science and plants and nature and everything. Everything is so unique. Don't you think this is awesome?
- Allow yourself to feel genuine compassion.
- Stand up for what's right. You have the power, and the authority to do so. But gently please, if possible. 🙂

The nice part here, is that these things are all representing the Truth.

These are only some examples. A lot more can be put down. Adopting such mindsets and heartsets reframe the experiences you have strongly, to the point that experiencing a negative emotional field simply seems interesting to you. You go: "oh!, so this is what anxiety feels like? This is what anger and rage feel like? Interesting." This works regardless if it is you who creates the emotional field, or someone else. Even when confronted with an intense fear of death, you can overcome it within seconds, and start to think of ways out of your situation. I mean it, when I say that everything you experience is highly dependent on the mindset and heartset. And I don't mean what precisely you experience, but rather what flavor the experience is recorded with.

It is this flavor that is largely responsible for your comfort or discomfort.

Aim - I hear what you are saying.

As an aside, as a personal spiritual practice, I am working hard on not need to "have the last word" during conversations or especially arguments.  I am doing a lot better with that.

But I would say that I don't really agree with your sentiment re: emotions as I understand it.

Imagine somebody has a lot of things to say about physical pain. To a person in pain, the only real answer is to get out of pain. Nobody should have to live with pain or in pain.

The same is true of emotional pain. You are right there is a lot you we can do to better 'cope with' the pain that others cause us. And we are all working together the best we can to create a better world, where we won't inflict so much toxic garbage onto each other.

But for now, I do agree with Gina who said that in connected states, other people's toxicity is #1) a big problem, and #2) a very visceral experience.

I am choosing to exist in highly connected states "out in the world" because personally I believe it is my 'dharma' [i don't know what that means exactly; i just mean my "chosen work"] to do so.

So I am very interested in learning to better cope with other's energy in an appropriate way.

But really, I haven't really found a good way to really stay highly connected when exposed to head on emotional assault -- intentional or otherwise-- and I'm not really sure it is possible.

Hello my fellow consciousness Geeks 🙂 I absolutely love this discussion thread! I just want to point out that consciousness automaticity is what I think we are trying to unearth i.e. do we possess this innate/authentic emotional presence in our mind, bodies, and expressions, right?

What I mean is that in order to be aware of consciousness, we have to be taught or encouraged to "see it". But, if we shift our perspective to acceptance that "it" already exists within us, we can develop our ability to become to trust or live in our world in our more natural consciousness state. That is why it is important to nurture newborns, children so they can be equipped with the optimal tools needed to actualize their consciousness. Healthy parents are those persons who possess a positive mindset and heartset. But because we/our past and current world conditions, so many of us are having to live in an unconscious survival mode state because our basic needs are not being met, or because our basic needs are under constant stress, duress and threat, our ability to respond to our authentic mindset and heartset states are, I would argue, always being challenged and or compromised.

Ben, I too like you choose to be conscious and connected in most of my waking conscious life experiences. Because of this, I sometimes experience consciousness overload, psychic consciousness attacks from others when my guard/boundaries are down, and/or if I am not taking care of me, Mike and the kids - my grounding persons and space, I sometimes become consciously and/or unconsciously apathetic. I see my emotional reactions as being part of the following patterns:

1. Thoughts +/- Emotions = Action
  2. Actions +/- Thoughts = Emotions
  3. Emotions +/- Actions = Thoughts

Depending on the situation, my competence, esteem needs, emotional safety etc. I will react to my heartset/mindset depending on my mastery of the situation. Likewise, my communication, interaction, relationship status with others impacts the other persons' heartset and mindset. Being able to understand, address, and problem solve issues related to thoughts, feelings/emotions requires us to reflect on many variables that we experience in our lives. That is why it is important to be mindful and knowledgeable about emotions when assisting others in their consciousness development.

G

Recent forum posts

Ben's Creative Output
LP Rods
Ben's Healing Journal
Ben's Poetry
The Wild Fox Koan
Schooling the World
Enneagram of Personality
LP Grades - help
Ben's Awakening Story
Awakening Movies