Community forums

Forum Navigation
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

LP Workbook Three: Connection

The final draft of LP Workbook Three Connection is available. This revision merges the original draft of LP Workbooks three and four into a single resource which presents, "tada," the LP Connection Framework.

Lightning Path Workbook Three – Connection

feel free to post your honest review of the book at the above link. You can provide additional feedback below.

-- Subscribe to new posts by visiting your profile. Click the edit button, scroll down to "subscribe to Forums" and click "subscribe."

The book is excellent - before finding your work I didn't know that spirituality could be presented in such straightforward and easy to understand way. There are books that describe spirituality-related techniques (like meditation, energy work, OoBE) in straightforward way, but works concerning wider perspective are typically very confusing.

There's just one footnote that I'm confused about:

Note, the goal of this meditative slowdown is not to eliminate thoughts and experience “pure conscious” which,
presumably, is a state of pure awareness devoid of thought, the goal is to slow the chatter in your “stream of
consciousness” down enough so you can become more aware of your thoughts as they flow through the stream in
your brain. Certainly, you can empty your body of thoughts and, while empty of thoughts, you can perceive the
world without thought, with only awareness. However, “pure consciousness” devoid of thought is an artificial state
that has no natural existence. Consciousness has never been devoid of thought. Not even when Consciousness
existed as a single self-aware monadic spark, not even before that, when Consciousness existed only as non-self-
aware awareness, was Consciousness ever devoid of thought. Thought is to Consciousness like water is to the
ocean. To suggest that pure consciousness is actually a thing is to conceive of an ocean of water, without the water.

Certainly, you can empty your body of thoughts and, while empty of thoughts, you can perceive the world without thought, with only awareness.

Seems to be conflicting with:

Thought is to Consciousness like water is to the ocean. To suggest that pure consciousness is actually a thing is to conceive of an ocean of water, without the water.

What is the difference between clearing the mind of thoughts and pure consciousness?
From my experience, "clear mind" state is quite easy to reach with some training, and although not natural, it's very useful in reaching altered states (like "mind awake, body asleep state", that can be a precursor to out-of-body experience - in my opinion a kind of Connection Experience). Is it that awareness itself is a kind of non-verbal thought?

Quote from postnihilist on December 26, 2018, 2:16 pm

The book is excellent - before finding your work I didn't know that spirituality could be presented in such straightforward and easy to understand way. There are books that describe spirituality-related techniques (like meditation, energy work, OoBE) in straightforward way, but works concerning wider perspective are typically very confusing.

That's because the people who write them are often confused, usually because they've only had a single Noetic Experiences or two. R.M. Bucke is a good example of this. This Canadian medical doctor had a single noetic experience (you can read it here), and wrote a Cosmic Consciousness (book) about it. His book is interesting and it has got some good insights, but  they are uncoordinated, undeveloped, and mixed up with his various prejudices, and limited by the science and technology of the time. Honestly, it takes decades of work to sort out the insights provided in even a single noetic experience. Few people bother to do the work, and even fewer actually manage to do it without importing all sorts of bias and error. Even fewer have had the benefit of information technology, computers, SpiritWikis, and the like.

There's just one footnote that I'm confused about:

Note, the goal of this meditative slowdown is not to eliminate thoughts and experience “pure conscious” which, presumably, is a state of pure awareness devoid of thought, the goal is to slow the chatter in your “stream of consciousness” down enough so you can become more aware of your thoughts as they flow through the stream in your brain. Certainly, you can empty your body of thoughts and, while empty of thoughts, you can perceive the world without thought, with only awareness. However, “pure consciousness” devoid of thought is an artificial state that has no natural existence. Consciousness has never been devoid of thought. Not even when Consciousness existed as a single self-aware monadic spark, not even before that, when Consciousness existed only as non-self-aware awareness, was Consciousness ever devoid of thought. Thought is to Consciousness like water is to the ocean. To suggest that pure consciousness is actually a thing is to conceive of an ocean of water, without the water.

Certainly, you can empty your body of thoughts and, while empty of thoughts, you can perceive the world without thought, with only awareness.

Seems to be conflicting with:

Thought is to Consciousness like water is to the ocean. To suggest that pure consciousness is actually a thing is to conceive of an ocean of water, without the water.

What is the difference between clearing the mind of thoughts and pure consciousness?
From my experience, "clear mind" state is quite easy to reach with some training, and although not natural, it's very useful in reaching altered states (like "mind awake, body asleep state", that can be a precursor to out-of-body experience - in my opinion a kind of Connection Experience). Is it that awareness itself is a kind of non-verbal thought?

Ya so this is interesting. So we distinguish here between Bodily Ego and Spiritual Ego.

Spiritual Ego is your real self, your real consciousness, the part of you that exists independent of your physical unit. This spiritual ego is just like your bodily ego, only far more powerful, capable, aware, insightful, intelligence, etc., than your Bodily Ego.

Your Bodily Ego is the ego of your physical body. It is the constellation of neurological functions that bring your body's sense of "I." (see this paper, which needs some work). This Bodily Ego is physical, neurological, and devoted/attached to ensuring the survival of the Physical Unit. Because of Toxic Socialization however, that bodily ego gets damaged. It becomes defensive, delusional, autocratic, obsessive, constantly worried, or whatever. It is the damaged dialogue of a damaged neurological/psychological structure. In order to make a connection, you have to calm the toxic chatter of that bodily ego. Meditation, mindfulness, and stuff like that, is designed to quiet that chatter.

Some people, however, take this too far. Some people, some scientists, specifically  Robert K.C. Forman,  talk of Pure Conscious Events which they say is consciousness devoid of thought, i.e., pure consciousness. They talk about it like its some big deal, some pinnacle of spiritual attainment, but in my view, its an artificial state arrived at by "going too far," i.e. by emptying the mind not only of the toxic chatter of the bodily ego but also of the healthier content of the spiritual ego. If thoughts/ideas of your Spiritual Ego are like water in a big cosmic stream, then what RKCF is advocating is emptying the water from the stream. At that point, you could look at the empty stream and say "wow man, that's a pure stream,"  but that's kinda ridiculous, a pretty big error/misconception, and a betrayal of a profound misunderstanding.

Does all this make sense? I'll look at the footnote when I go back through that book and see if I can clarify it a bit.

-- Subscribe to new posts by visiting your profile. Click the edit button, scroll down to "subscribe to Forums" and click "subscribe."

Additional content is available to LP members only. To get the full message, become a member, register and login.

Recent forum posts

The Healing Power of Connection S …
Einstein - Religion and Science
Quantum Change
Student Reading Group
Transformational Change
Ben's Healing Journal
Does Evil Exist -Part I
Connection, the Physical Unit, th …
Webinar - does evil exist
Tarot Spreads
The Power of Visualization