Forum Navigation
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

Nothingness

The term 'nothing' has been philosophically underestimated and thus not analyzed thoroughly.

It would be important to shed some light on the term, for it restricts the understanding of some basic spiritual truths. Understanding the term would, among many other things, not allow any sane person to stop questioning what was "before" the big bang, for instance. There are many other examples where a wrong "understanding" of the word incapacitates our understanding of some simple truths, or twist their interpretation due to this wrong conceptualization.

Briefly, this is the basic idea:

Nothingness cannot exist. There is no such thing as nothing, or nowhere. Nothing is a term which is absolutely empty. (An empty terminus) which does not have any meaning. There is no semantics embedded into the term - thus empty.

Now, if we think about it, we all agree, that the term does convey something, right? We all agree that if the term is used, most people agree on its meaning, thus, it must have some semantic content.

But here I disagree, at least partially. It does have a content, but the content is merely a representation of the extrapolation of a trend. Sounds utterly complicated, but it is not. Just imagine how a number becomes ever smaller, until it reaches 0. Zero, by the way, is just another alias for the term nothingness. As a side note, it has been "invented/discovered" rather late, which shows that it is not a very natural concept. It took humans lots of time to "figure this one out".

So my point is that the term "nothing" does not point to something, not even at nothingness, for nothingness cannot exist. The term points to: the representation of what would happen if we imagined that something turns extremely small/(pick your favorite attribute here).

So, what does this mean for us?

Well, first, that nothing cannot exist. So it is never appropriate to answer our hard questions, for instance: "What was 'prior to' the Big Bang? with the answer: nothing.

The answer "Prior to the Big Bang there was nothing." can only be accepted to any sane human mind, if we bought the concept of nothingness. If the concept would be understood more precisely - as a term signifying a trend, and not a fact - then such conclusions would be absurd.

Moreover, I am certain many other philosophical and scientific discoveries could be made if this misunderstanding would be solved. For instance, conceptualizations about the Fabric of Consciousness, and, what I regard as especially important, some assumptions made by our scientific community. The assumption that physicality is a closed system would be impossible to hold. For if a closed system exists, it follows logically that it must entail everything. (If anyone wants to discuss this, I'd be glad to. Otherwise, I'll just let this statement as it is.) Physicality does not entail everything, for obviously at least the psyche is a big example which does not fit to this assumption. Thus, it follows that the RMC could have means of altering reality. Generally, the entire issue with consciousness could be solved, for if consciousness is capable of altering reality, we could start focusing on finding the methods how it does this, and what the dependencies are. Also, the great hiatus between body and mind could be more easily solved, because accepting that nothingness cannot exist leads to the idea that something exists beyond our universe, which leads to the idea of the Fabric of Consciousness, which leads to a host of new ideas, but ultimately also to answers of what the PU is, and what its purpose is, and answer towards how it accomplishes its purpose and so on... Biiig changes, in other words. Even though it is a simple assumption. But it deadlocks genuine inquisition of our world and much beyond.

Hi Aim

Your post is fascinating in that when I think of what nothing means to me, I see the phenomenon of nothingness as not being whole. So then what does whole mean to me? I will get back to that in a bit but when I read your post Aim, the first thing that came to my mind was that I think the opposite of nothing would have to be something, whatever that something is. So, in order to understand a “nothing” one would have to understand a “something”. And whatever stage of growth and development a species is in, will determine how whole they become and how they perceive of experience this thing of nothingness.

Let me explain what I mean by whole. I think being whole means being connected i.e. all cells in the body are activated and connecting with other matter (all other life forms) around them. When we are not fully activated, we, if we are lucky, and what i am mean is that lucky enough to feel the emptiness, incompleteness, of something that is in need, our innate need to grow and learn expands. The more we activate our cells, our minds, our bodies, our thoughts, our trust in our relationships etc., the easier it is to connect to other forms of matter. As our connection to other forms of matter increases, our ability to understand and expand our consciousness deepens i.e. we are connecting to these other matters of consciousness/living/energetic beings. In other words, either the nothingness expands which could also mean it - the nothing of something contracts.

So for me, from a psychological point of view, i think nothingness is our way of understanding what we are missing, or not able to know. Does this make sense?

My view of spiritual activation and ascension requires that when more and more of us heal, we are able to connect. When we are able to connect we expand our ways of knowing and being. Our ability to see potential in essence is fulfilling whatever that nothing is in any given moment and or stage of our growth and development.

G

In other words, either the nothingness expands which could also mean it - the nothing of something contracts.

Wow, yes indeed. It makes a lot of sense to me. Now that you brought it up, I also see why - and how - Leibniz used the term "wholeness". He essentially said the same thing as you here. (Only in a more complicated way 🙂 )

Aim, is it my interpretation and expression confusing? Or are you referring to the subject matter or both? I admit, this philosophical stuff makes my head spin, but I think what you and I are trying to discuss is what many other people know whether they know it intuitively, intellectually, emotionally, or spiritually, and that the issue of understanding or relating to a "nothing" is rooted in our abilities or our lack of abilities to identify with a nothing. Our abilities to understand, see, process, internalize and comprehend nothingness is rooted in our own experiences. There is more nothingness when we are not whole, likewise, the more whole we become, the nothingness expands, but not negatively, but rather that for each answer we find, we push through more nothingness. Thus nothingness becomes an evolving experience.

Right now I am thinking of mushrooms (all forms of fungi) and that their abilities to exist, and that their ability to exist is to be able to spawn spores to replicate and through their replication, they are assisting other species to thrive and survive (so is that fungi's intent and purpose, or are they themselves their own living entity?). But, their "purpose" whether we choose to view fungi as a building block, or as an isolated individual phenomenon, the truth is that (according to my truth) is that any fungi can only be present when the conditions are right. So, nothingness in the context of fungi is that a) they need a purpose/need/intent, b) they need to be able to thrive and survive, and c) they need to be interconnected to their environment, and without this context, our understanding creates the nothingness that any living species experiences when under the wrong conditions to perform, will experience some kind of form of nothingness/or lack of wholeness.

That is why I think our understanding of being "whole" at all levels is required to understand the "other".

G

Recent forum posts

Podcast
COVID 19
The Platform
What is Vengeance?
Connection poem by Rumi
LP Alumni
ARMs revisited
The Physical Unit, the Spiritual …
The Physical Unit, the Spiritual …
Skip to toolbar