Forums

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumMentor Study: Deep studyPsyche as a Program
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

Psyche as a Program

I recently started programing. Some odd associations occurred, but I think they're interesting.

I've been thinking some time about what the psyche is. The question I put myself is whether the psyche is as automated as the physical part of our body. My conclusion is yes, it is. (Which does not exclude our (higher) consciousness from exerting control over the body via the "mental plane".

I'm still at the beginning, but some commands in the programing language Python pretty much strike the nail on the head when it comes to our behavior, especially when the behavior is pathological.

One of the features that strike me as relevant is the way Functions work.

First, you define a function. Once defined, you call the function, and it tries to execute.

This is very similar to what the socialization process does to us. Lots of functions are being defined by our parents, peers, and the media.

After they are defined, they are called repeatedly. And we try to execute without fail. Good examples:

Mass Media: Creation of the "Red Scare", functions that return fear. (Return is another command in Python, that returns a value if the function is defined accordingly.) Shopping, abstract concepts such as freedom, democracy and liberalism, etc. For instance, after the function is being defined as:

"Freedom is good".  AND "Everybody strives for the good".

If freedom is in x:

Comply.

Else:

Resist.

For every person who tries to intervene or change function:

Denounce person.

... You get the basic idea.

Another interesting feature of python is how it deals with sensitive code. It raises exceptions. Somehow quite similar to how the ruling elite deals with immoral deeds/intentions.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the psyche is just as automated as the physical body is. Perhaps it is one and the same thing, The only thing that stops me from concluding that the mental plane doesn't exist is the fact that we are able to visualize stuff. There must be a "room" where we do visualizations and where imagination occurs. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to do them. However, this doesn't mean that the psyche is not thoroughly automated.

Modern psychology makes out a trias here: Cognition -Emotion -Motivation. There is an obvious interplay between these three, and I would agree with their categorization. My inquiry concerns the Emotion and Motivation part. In another post I had argued for the existence of "emotion particles". I don't recall how I called them, but the basic idea was the existence of "particles" that exhibited certain traits, such as persistence, stickiness, valence and neutrality. Combining the idea of automation/ determination with the idea of such particles renders a viable option. Our heart could very well create these particles, or be influenced by such particles in its vicinity. Thus, emotions could be part of a deterministic world view.

yes you're right. This is particularilyi obvious when it comes to defense mechanisms. See

https://spiritwiki.lightningpath.org/index.php/Defense_Mechanisms

Specifically

"Defense mechanisms may be best understood by considering them like software programs coded into the genetic substrate of the Physical Unit. The programs are coded as the result of experience and accessed via associative pathways"

I think these programs exist and are controlled by the amygdala, which handles memory and emotions. the programs basically developed around the core orgasmic motivation for survival and the avoidance of pain. Defense mechanisms are programs that develop when we exist in chronically hostile, neglectful, and substandard environments.

Your right. The neocortex can subvert these programs, change them, modify their output, but that requires mindfulness, intent, and Active Need Fulfillment (see the needs chapter in workbook two, when its out shortly). The HEALING Framework is a framework that can help "set the stage" for that reprogramming effort.

It might be interesting project to speculate about what the various programs might be. Definately defense mechanisms, but there would be other coded responses as well. It would be a good article for the Lightning Strike. https://medium.com/human-spirituality

-- Subscribe to new posts by visiting your profile. Click the edit button, scroll down to "subscribe to Forums" and click "subscribe."

Oh! Haven't seen the DM site yet, since I always associate DM with ARMs.

Interesting. Funny how some of our ideas are quite congruent 🙂

It might be interesting project to speculate about what the various programs might be. Definately defense mechanisms, but there would be other coded responses as well. It would be a good article for the Lightning Strike.

I already thought about that yesterday night.

Before replying, an addition is due in order to be more clear. Three concepts seem interesting here.

1. The structure of the programs.
  2. The content of the programs.
  3. The priority of a program. This part should be subdivided into a) priority between other programs and b) priority between any given program and the will(power) of the PU.

Start with 3b.

Priority of a program relative to the will(power) of the PU

It is probably better to use the term "weighing" instead of "priority". But they mean the same.

The PU is full of programs. Now, even if a program is elicited/called, it doesn't mean that it will execute.

Let's say that a program is elicited, and it says: "go left". Assume our consciousness wants to go right. Who wins? That depends on the will(power) relative to the weighing of the program. Say our willpower is at 50, but the program is at 60, the program wins, and we will go, even if reluctantly, left. Vice versa, and the consciousness wins, and the PU turns right.

Weighing allows us to create a model where programs have a variable impact on the behavior of the PU. Generally speaking, a healthy PU will have its programs weighted relatively low. This automatically means that the PU has been living in a healthy environment, where defensive mechanisms have been required seldomly. Thus, they have a low weighing.

The will(power) of the PU is directly related to the solar chakra and competes with the programs constantly. In a healthy PU, it wins mostly.

3a

Programs compete with each other. The program(s) with the higher weight win. Programs that return differing, incompatible results for the same input automatically create cognitive dissonance.  This saps lots of energy from the PU, for the loops of the programs run repeatedly without managing to terminate.

The content of the programs vary depending on the experiences a person makes. Programs may have a rigid structure but have varying contents. (variables changing all the time, but the program itself not changing one bit.

I believe many programs are hard-coded. Mike already wrote it in the spiritwiki DM - DNA.

1. Structure of Programs

I think we may categorize programs grossly into two categories. Positive and Negative COEXes. Several other categorizations may be done.

A negative COEX can be defined by an infinite loop that requires x to be the case. This can be either achieved by requiring a value that cannot be achieved, or by iteratively changing the required value indefinitely. (Get more money for instance)

A positive COEX can be defined by a finite loop that requires x to be the case. It can also consist of a program that does not include loops. Need fulfillment is a good example of positive COEXes. When the need is fulfilled, the function stops, for the requirement is achieved, and the program can terminate gracefully. (usually with a feel good sensation that also adjusts the weighing of the program.)

Generally, emotional connotation is a plausible candidate for representing how weighing of a program is done. When the emotions are good, they add to the weigh of the program leading to them. If they are bad, they do the same. One is functioning via avoidance, the other via attraction. Negative and positive weighing may nullify each other. Say you have 5 good experiences doing x and one absolutely horrible experience doing x, then the weight of the program can be set to 0 again, given the good experiences add 1 and the absolutely horrible one is worth -5.

Emotional connotation also makes good sense considering how consolidation and re-consolidation works.

I'll think about the project. Seems very interesting.

Omg, I just wrote a post for at least 3 hours, and then suddenly my explorer crashed 🙁

I don't have the patience to write it again, not as detailed anyway. So here's the very short version.

Awareness Reduction Mechanisms

ARMs have two functions.

a) Canalization of awareness. (external ARMs in the spiritwiki)

b) Identity maintenance. (internal ARMs in the spiritwiki)

The mechanisms for ARMs - but also other programs I would not term as ARMs - can be subdivided into two categories.

Selective Attention

Programs that attempt to use canalization of awareness. They do not reduce awareness, but divert it. This way, the same purpose of minimizing pain is achieved. Instead of simply reducing awareness, awareness is focused and diverted onto pleasant things. This way, awareness needs not to be reduced, while simultaneously mitigating psychological pain.

• Compartmentalization
  • Diversion/Distraction
  • Rationalization
    • Justification
  • Distortion
    • Intellectualization
    • Perfectionism

Information Positioning

Information positioning is the process of placing information into places where consciousness of the PU does not frequent. This way, pain is minimized. Information Positioning is made possible by restricted Information Access. Information Access is a term depicting the spaces where consciousness may enter, and spaces where it does not. Conscious - subconscious, so to say. These mechanisms are not ARMs, for they neither divert attention, nor is identity maintenance their purpose. One might term them Defense Mechanisms.

• Repression

Repression is the act of putting information into places where consciousness of the PU does not go to. Easy way to visualize this: Water glass metaphor. Psychological system puts the information that is to be repressed into the high parts of the glass, where the water does not reach. Because the water does not touch the upper parts of the glass, the PU never becomes aware of the information stored there. When the glass is filled, the water touches the upper parts of the glass, thereby unintentionally touching the information that are stored away from the reach of consciousness. PU becomes aware of information this way, and needs to process the previously tucked away information. The process of Awakening invariably is a process that also needs to deal with the processing of repressed information/experiences.

• Denial

The program creating denial does two things. First, it represses the information as best it can. Second, those parts that "are still touched by the water", are being negated. Denial is almost identical with repression, with the difference that during repression, the information is accepted, and silently tucked away in unreachable spaces. During denial, parts of the information cannot be tucked away, so need to be dealt with separately via denial. Whether something is repressed or denied depends on the efficacy of the ARMs involving Selective Attention/Compartmentalization. The better previous ARMs work, the less the need for denial. If ARMs did their job, then repression occurs, instead of denial. Denial produces lots of cognitive dissonance.

• Projection

Projection is a composite mechanism. It uses both, selective attention and also information positioning. Two steps. First, information is repressed as far as possible. Observing insufficiency, the psychological system simultaneously diverts attention on the next best target.

• Regression

Regression is a program that resets the Information Access to previously stored values. Information Access is a term depicting that not all information can be accessed by the limited awareness of the PU. (This is why information positioning can work in the first place.)

I have to admit, quite some denial was at work in my brain when the explorer crashed... 🙂 funny to observe.

Recent forum posts

ARMs revisited
New assessment - Anger
"H" is for Help
Psyche as a Program
WATCH THIS VIDEO
The Ubiquity of Mystical Experien …
The Pedagogy of the Upanishads
Greta Thunberg, the most dangerou …
What is Religion
The Human Superconductor
FINAL DRAFT of Rocket Scientists' …