Forums

Forum Navigation
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

Psychological Friction and Maintenance Mechanism

Hi There,

Here's a small excerpt from the paper I'm writing on the correlation between Self Esteem and Capitalism. Any thoughts?

[...] At the very least, this would create what I would term psychological friction. Psychological friction consists of cognitive dissonance, fractured attachments and disjuncture.

Since psychological friction is extremely unpleasant, any system that produces it is prone to be discarded. Unless, of course, the system possesses means to undo this tendency.

Mechanisms that allow a system to be perpetuated despite producing psychological friction might be termed Maintenance Mechanisms. Maintenance Mechanisms aim at nullifying the resistance that naturally occurs when the system creates psychological friction.

There are several methods, and several spheres of influence.

Lowering the CQ of a person is one of the most important parts in any Maintenance Mechanism.

Obscure, Justify, Marginalize, Control, are a four-tiered prioritization with respect to the shape of actions that the system ought to do in order to minimize psychological friction. See Triumph of Spirit MK

The (ab)use of Awareness Reduction Mechanisms is another method used by Maintenance Mechanisms.

Certain archetypes may be used to this avail, too. Gender Archetypes in combination with Authority and Power, and Judgement and Punishment make a three chain Maintenance Mechanism (the “maintenance” mechanism is based here on circularity, thereby perpetuating the system), while Temple Archetypes and Fool in School are both solitary Archetypal Constellations that contribute towards the Maintenance Mechanisms of the system. The circularity of the three archetypes goes like this: Gender Archetypes create a difference. Authority and Power distributes authority unequally, Judgement and Punishment justifies/sanctify this distribution, which creates a difference in the first place. As long as all three Archetypal Constellation are in place, questions of rightness of it all may be always tossed on to the next "reason" (read archetype) for a never ending merry go round. Thus, circularity contributes to the preservation of the given system.

Another practical way to perpetuate any given system despite huge psychological friction is by diving and distributing. This goes for the energetic realm, the psychological realm, the political realm.

Essentially, the blind are being made powerful, while the weak may retain (part of) their vision.

Energetically, certain chakras are thwarted, others are not. In men, the heart and crown are thwarted, while the lower chakras left relatively intact. Women’s heart chakra is not as attacked as men’s but their solar chakra is blocked. Men thus retain a small part of their true power, but wield that power blindly and heartlessly. This, of course, plays rather favourable in the cards of the maintenance mechanism, since it provides for a grueling environment, an environment that reduces CQ - due to hurt and disjuncture - an environment where further hurt can be perpetuated. Women retain some of their love and wisdom, but are being kept from ever being able to apply it, because the seat of power is blocked. Divide and distribute, indeed. For (alot) more details see Triumph of Spirit MK.

Seemingly, all maintenance mechanisms are part of a circular scheme. It follows more or less logically, since they aim for continuity in a ever changing world.

Psychologically, ARMs are being employed in order to minimize awareness and justify. They divide parts of reality into pleasant and not pleasant and focus attention on pleasant ones, while ignoring, negating, justifying, compartmentalizing, redirecting unpleasant ones. ARMs are of utter importance. They are an integral part of what I would term the psychological immune system of the PU . Psychologists claim they are a defense mechanism, but I’d rather state they are (long-term) survival mechanisms. No human can live as far from our true nature as we do, thus, ARMs literally keep us alive. Without ARMs, we would die like a child that has not known love. (ARMs might be interpreted as having the function of faking self-love) This would explain why ARMs always choose positive interpretations over negative. They are engaged in a positive identity creation of the self and interpretation of the suroundings.

Very interesting, what you write! I have many thoughts, but nothing to add really. I am not even sure, if you are right about everything :). Just for example this one: "Essentially, the blind are being made powerful, while the weak may retain (part of) their vision." I think the person in power could also be not at all "blind"... Both can be possible, I guess.

Nonetheless it's interesting to read and it makes me think. I find you go into deep analysis, which we normally do not reach, when we occasionally think of these matters. Do you think your audience will understand?

I think the audience for this piece is advanced LP students. I doubt anybody else on the planet would understand it, frankly.

Additional content is available to LP members only. To get the full message, become a member, register and login.

-- Subscribe to new posts by visiting your profile. Click the edit button, scroll down to "subscribe to Forums" and click "subscribe."

Hi Aim

Great start to your article. I agree with Mohini and Mike’s constructive feedback. Your writing made me remember a sociology class that I took in the mid 1990's (social problems I think) and was blown away when I realized or learned that the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill off the coast of Alaska, which caused devastating environmental and ecological impacts and costs, was indeed also a money maker. That is, the spin off economies that resulted in the cleanup efforts generated a new purpose and income. I remember being appalled but really didn’t understand what that truly meant until years later. Don’t get me wrong, I knew intellectually, environmentally, and politically, but it took me sometime and more growth and healing to really understand what that oil spill represented i.e. the true psychic-social-spiritual costs. But it’s not only the oil spill. It’s every man-made disaster that occurred before Valdez and since Valdez, that makes me angry and frustrated, because I know and can see what is truly happening, and watching others around me “not getting it” frustrates me even more. Taking the blindfolds off i.e. confronting our psycho-social-spiritual economic realities and those systems that are designed to deliberately keep us enslaved, is the only way we can unbind those chains that hold us all hostage and prevent us from achieving clarity and vision in order to attain authentic CQ.

Too many people are so disconnected and deep in their toxic soups, that to even consider the economic consequences of their beliefs and to make meaningful change, well that’s a whole other issue. But it has to start somewhere. That is why healing is so important to our ability to connect. And you can’t heal unless you know what you are healing from, thus exploring the economic system is an important aspect towards our whole understanding.

So I think it is important to express and explain this reality to all audiences – so I would encourage you to consider re-posting what you are saying in a way that those, those who may not have had the training or desire to read intellectual readings, in a way that is relatable. Your insights are extremely important and needed, especially for those who are really stuck. However, for academic audiences, I understand that there is a format that must be followed, so from this perspective, I think your article is necessary in the scholarly world of eyes and ears and is a great start!

G

Thanks for your great replies.

Just for example this one: "Essentially, the blind are being made powerful, while the weak may retain (part of) their vision." I think the person in power could also be not at all "blind"... Both can be possible, I guess.

Indeed, both are possible. It is the aim of the LP to make this happen. The Activation part of the LP aims at reestablishing power for instance, but much more, of course.

However, I argued from the perspective of the System, focusing on maintenance mechanisms. I asked myself, how does it work, how does the system manage to survive despite all the problems it creates? Look at it like this. Imagine you are hiking out in the mountains. It's snowing, and it's wet and cold. And your socks are wet. Having those wet socks on is really unpleasant. Now imagine that the system are your socks. What do you think any human would do when they notice their socks are wet? Wouldn't one think that they would stop, get down their wet,freezing socks, and put on shiny new warm socks to enjoy their journey? I'd wager they would change them. Unless, something keeps them from changing their wet socks. It is only natural that they'd change it, don't you think? Yet, we don't do it, we keep on with the wet socks. And what I did was to describe what exactly makes them not want to change their wet socks into warm, thick, pleasant socks.

Do you think your audience will understand?

Well, I will try to make them understand. I appologize for the lack of structure, I admit into venturing way too far here. However, understand that what I post in the forums are most of the time my latest realizations, and as such, they are not yet ordered properly, the information is not yet very clarified in my mind (the information needs to mature, needs grounding, needs feedback, needs association with all other information in my mind), and moreover, they are often taken out of context. There is not enough space to put it all down in the forum, which is why it often seems (and is) hard to understand.

When writing a paper, it is different of course, there, I take the time and space to explain. Give lots of sources where I realize that information may be lacking, so the honest reader can look up the concepts I am referring to and understand it. The structure is more organized, small logical steps are being made, and every concept that is not mainstream referenced. I usually write my papers with the aim to make it intelligible for my grandma, if she were to read it. I probably fail at that, but it should be intelligible enough for anyone out there who is interested in reading a scientific paper.

To answer Mike and Gina,

The audience of this paper is mixed. Allow me to explain briefly what I aim at and you'll see what I mean.

The ultrashort version of the paper goes like this:

First, I look at the traits of capitalism.

Two main traits are identified and a third added:

1) maximization

2) hierarchical structure

3) resilience (added trait)

Second, I look at what the effects of a loss of genuine self esteem are.

I conclude that losing genuine self esteem creates an environment where maximization and a hierarchical social sturcture thrives. Thus, I conclude that regardless of the specific type of economic system we would adopt, we would end up in a capitalism-like social and economic psychological environment. Meaning: A lack of genuine self esteem makes us want to fix this problem. (The problem being the lack of genuine self esteem.) We are taught that we fix this problem by acquiring stuff. Thus, we acquire more and more. Because this fixes the problem only temporarily, we repeat the deed (acquiring stuff, wielding power etc.) again and again. This creates consumerism, and also hierarchical structures. With other words, we could have capitalism-like psychological structures even if our government happened to be perfectly communistic. We would behave like capitalists at the end of the day, because of our psychological urges. The historic attempts at communism have all been conducted under a conditioning that was deeply capitalistic, which obviously made the attempts to fail spectacularly. Any government type that attempts to establish itself onto a population whose psychological conditioning is geared towards capitalism cannot but fail. Thus, I'd say that what actually creates capitalism is not the policies, markets, institutions, but rather the archetypes that create the lack of genuine self esteem, upon which this entire monstrosity is built upon. That is why I termed the paper: The dispossession of Genuine Self Esteem as a Catalyst for Capitalism. My aim is to show why this dispossession creates capitalism inadvertedly, if we like it or not, utterly regardless of how exactly we choose to name our government/ markets.

Puh, much ground to be covered, for sure. But I'll make it.

What I posted above, the thing about maintenance mechanisms, is meant for the third part. Which analyzes the question of resilience. This part is indeed not yet properly formulated, and I merely made a small brainstorming for myself when I wrote it. It is copied from a footnote I wrote myself, where ideas were flowing on and on :P)

Depending on the readability, complexity, amount of new knowledge for non LP readers, lenght of the paper, I will or will not divide the paper into two papers. One paper dealing with the first two parts and the second about resilience and maintenance mechanisms. This would allow for a division of the targeted audience, since the part about maintenance mechanisms is far beyond the other two parts. It requires so much more knowledge and insight.

To Gina:

Indeed, I will attempt to write everything intelligible for everyone, even if in a scholarly fashion. Our aim is to spread information and clarify what is to be clarified. Just as you stated, healing cannot occur when one does not know that one is sick, or what the sickness is. I'll take Mike's lead and whenever I write, I'll try to formulate as clearly and logically as possible, with the express intent to shed only the Truest of information onto this world. Thanks for reminding me.

Aim, great article! I've nothing to add here either, except to agree that I also see that lopsidedness from the damage to self esteem, old idea archetypes and chakra corruptions in the PU of all humans in all life activities fit in order the keep the capitalistic system going. More and more this will be made plain to others so we all can heal and unplug from the madness. Keep sharing :)!

Recent forum posts

LP Grades - help
Emotions
LP mentorship
Cowspiracy
Wild, Wild Country -- Weeds in th …
Ben's Creative Output
The True Cost - The Sweatshop on …
LP Ethics and Standards of Practi …
Ben's Healing Journal
Lightning Path Research Paper que …
All roads do not lead to global a …