Community forums

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumLP Forums: HC Journalrough draft
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

rough draft

before this gets posted in the healing or evidence for awakening posts, I'd like some feedback thanks.
Video games: Press Start and awaken
By Niko S.

I woke up this morning to the stereotype of video games being a silly hobby, this is blasphemy! One of my best friends, who I hang with every Saturday has kept a balance between work and play. With technology ever rapidly expanding, it ism't to crazy or far frtched to think that video gamrs will be a preferred method of training for pilots and surgeons for example. At the time of its release, SEGA's super monkey ball video game was used in a study to learn the after effects of play and hand eye coordination. Surgeons were more precise after playing the game than those who did not participate.

On a personal note, I'd like to discuss how video games, are no diffrent than a hollywood movie, how they taught me the values of patience, perserverence and positivity, and how I got through my toughest ordeal of head trauma, thanks to video games.

When I say that video games are no different than a hollywood movie, I am referring to the types of games focused on a cinematic approach to the medium, games like The Last Of Ua, Uncharted, Halo and Shenmue.These games are heavily story driven, and require time and patience to get through, unfortunately due to my disability and lack of money... I have only played Halo in this list, that came into my life after having a broken arm in sixth grade, due to my wheelchair tipping ober. The game was a first person shooter, it had various options of control layouts. I eventually had success with a layout that split the workload for my palsy in half! One stick had full 360 degree movement while the other looked up and down, I guess this was all my cerebral palsy needed because my index finger rested behind the shooting trigger quite nicely at the time.
The other games I haben'y been able to experience, due to having no way to split up the analigue sticks as desvribed in Haki, With the changes in our tech nowadays, theoretically I SHOULD be able to experience all of these, here's why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfnmCUFxZwA - Xbox disabled friendly controller.

Video games taught the value of patience because I eventually got better and succeeded in playing and enjoying games, even if I needed help on specidic parts growing up im the early 90s and the millenniumn. This is due in part to mu parents as well being extremly polite and patient during plaY, when I wasn't reading before bed with my mom, I was constantly rteading in games, language arts is important! Tell your children this tonight.

The idea of games as a tool for reading and healing comes from games like Zelda and Earthbound. Zelda as a child, Earthbound as an adult. Zelda was more light hrarted and whimsical where as Earthbound has many elements that only an adult or adolescence could appreciate fully dealing with issues such as Cults and childhood abandonment, because uour neighbor pokey, has mo support or proper guidance from his parents. Earthbound has many issues thay are more relevent today than they were upon release in 1994 95 in my opinion, taking stabs at western society, but having the heart to teach you the values of wisdom courage and friendship along the way. What I have just described happened after my head trauma and It gave me the motibatiom to read again and practice using my other left eye.

Quote from niko on November 21, 2018, 1:56 pm

before this gets posted in the healing or evidence for awakening posts, I'd like some feedback thanks.

Hi niko, how are you?

nice job with your essay. i think it is good and well-written.

here is one sentence that i think needs rewritten:

"zelda was more light hrarted and whimsical where as Earthbound has many elements that only an adult or adolescence could appreciate fully dealing with issues such as Cults and childhood abandonment, because uour neighbor pokey, has mo support or proper guidance from his parents. "

I think you should take out the part about your neighbor, because it forms a run on sentence that isn't really relevant at that point.

Also consider putting a sentence or two at the very bottom that summarizes what you said in the whole essay. The same advice applies to the very beginning of the essay.

It isΒ  good essay, and I agree with your premise that video games can have a lot of positive qualities about them in terms of self-discovery and self-development.

thanks for sharing!

http://kundalinisoftware.com May the people of this world be free.

Oh there is soooo much I'd like to comment on here.

Heh, I'll be perfectly honest here Niko, you just hit my nerve πŸ˜€ I'm an ethusiastic gamer, and I was my entire life so, since about the age of 4 or 5.

So let's go into this. Since the age of 4-5?! Yes, that doesn't exactly seem healthy, but, let me tell you, my brother and me, we just enjoyed gaming so much. We had sooo much fun. By accident, because all the games were in English, we also learned the language. After 3-4 years of gaming, we were able to speak decently. At the age of 9, we could have a moderately complex conversation in English, even though we never learned it at school (as our school was unable to acquire an enlgish teacher - which was rather typical for a small city in rural romania), nor have we ever been abroad, which could facilitate and speed up learning the language. I remember that we once were riding a train, and the trainride went on for hours, and we started conversation with a German guy in English. Our first conversation went smoothly, and I remember how proud and thrilled we were to be able to speak with a foreigner. Thus, indeed, games can trully be a good source for learning.

First, let me state that I agree with your intuition that games are similar to movies, and that they are not necessarily bad, or a "waste of time". To play is a wonderfull thing. I have always loved it. And I played almost every type of game. Especially the ones which were challenging for us. Out of some reason, I liked those most.
I remember playing Descent as a 7 year old. I was hopelessly swamped by the complexity of the game. Retrospectively, it is not that the game is complex. It's just about shooting some ships and then finding your way to the exit in the maze you find yourself in. But the maps are quite complex. Your spatial intuition is pushed to your limits, even for an adult and also the way of propulsion of your ship makes it quite difficult to manouver. The timer that ticks, which shows you how much time you have left till the whole maze explodes makes your heart race. Your mind is numbed by the anxiety it encounters when under such time pressure. And this is especially efficient for kids. Thus, learning to "cope" with the fear, not let your mind go numb, not allow yourself to panic was part of sucess. However, we loved that game, and we didn't mind at all when losing. I'm not sure why, but we never minded losing, even though we were quite strongly emotionally attached to the games. The only thing that bothered us was when we were winning too easily. It got boring super fast. Another extremly challenging game we played as children was Supaplex. Jesus christ. Try that one out. It is brilliant. I think we got till lvl 75 or something like that... πŸ˜› We were indeed little freaks.

It is hard for me to say what impact games had on us. But it surely had a huge one, since we played a huge amount of time. Except learning English, I believe our logical and deductive abilities improved, among with our motoric and spatiotemporal abilities. Generally, the mind was constantly stimulated, constantly in an attempt to solve problems. Problems of all kind, since we played nearly every genre imaginable. Starting from the game TYCOON, where you had to raise a company and make money via constructing infrastructure, to real time strategy games like warcraft and starcraft, where spatiotemporal problems and mostly motoric problems were prominent, to RPGs like WoW, to turn based games like Heroes of Might and Magic, we played them all. Every game had its own type of challenge. Some challenges were mechanical challenges, others were intellectual challenges. Others needed patience, spirit of observation, logics, intuition, etc. At the age of 20, we started to play go. (your dad told me once that you liked it :)) There is no doubt that we improved rather quickly due to all the gaming experience we had. Strategic and tactical thinking was our every day bread.

Interestingly, I have noticed that games like go influenced my way of seeing things. That game describes life so often perfectly. It is truly a deep game.

Ah, I'll end this now, although there is much to comment on.

Anyhow, I want to comment that games could very well participate in creating a wonderful world. Mostly because the imersion factor is very high, which makes them an incredible tool for changing or implanting archetypes (ideas).

Cheers

Hi everyone!

It's a nice essay, Niko. I too consider computer games as something more than entertainment, both as an art, and from utilitarian perspective (stuff like simulators, etc.).

With technology ever rapidly expanding, it ism't to crazy or far frtched to think that video gamrs will be a preferred method of training for pilots and surgeons for example.

As for aircraft pilots, this is already happening. Large part of training can be done on a simulator (that is essentially a specialized computer game with quite impressive hardware), reducing both costs and risk. Simulators also allow to teach pilots how to react to situations that would be too dangerous to enact in real life (engine failures, icing, etc.).

Anyhow, I want to comment that games could very well participate in creating a wonderful world. Mostly because the imersion factor is very high, which makes them an incredible tool for changing or implanting archetypes (ideas).

I agree completely πŸ™‚
And you don't even need big budget for that. Undertale is an excellent example - it's a game carrying surprisingly powerful pacifist message, and despite simple graphics (like on an 8-bit computer) it gained huge popularity and was received very positively. I highly recommend playing it (try to avoid harming any creature during play, and discover secret ending, it's worth it πŸ™‚ ). Actually, the game fits quite well with Lightning Path philosophy πŸ™‚

As for higher budget games with subversive messages, I recommend SpecOps: The Line. I was quite surprised, because when it was ported to Linux I bought it expecting a typical action game, and the beginning is like that, but later part is far from it. I don't want to say more, because it's best to play not knowing what it's really about. Although I have to warn, that it's quite violent and disturbing.

Another interesting one is Silent Hill 2. At first the game seems to be typical survival horror, but it's more of a psychological drama about dealing with loss of a loved one. Also dark, but deep symbolism makes it worth playing.

Recent forum posts

bullying
Realisations
Grounding
rough draft
Just to get High
Working Class Hero
Navigating reConnection
Understanding Endorphins
Cannabis has been found to not ma …

Pin It on Pinterest

Skip to toolbar