Community forums

Forum Navigation
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

Social Class and the Hidden Curriculum

In our study of archetypes, we learn that archetypes organize our thinking and guide our behaviours. But where to archetypes come from? From parents, from religions, and from schools! In this famous article, Jean Anyon, reveals not only the source of at least some of our archetypes but also the Social Class nature of same.  As it turns out, the ideas you learn about life, the ways we work and behave, are different depending on the amount of money you have. Those from the working classes learn "working class" archetypes and working-class ways of existing, which include following the rules, doing rote assembly-line style tasks,  and kowtowing to authority. The children in middle classes schools learn middle-class ideas and archetypes. They learn to think a little bit for themselves, and they learn to understand the rules, but by and large they are taught to accept the status quo as unchangeable and "just the way it is." Middle-class school train people to be middle-level bureaucrats and managers.  In the middle classes, critical thought and creativity is discouraged as students are prepared for a life of administrative drudge. Finally, in executive/ruling/elite schools, children are taught the skills they need to control systems, like governments, corporations, and even whole economies. Unlike all other class levels, they are taught to act autonomously and under their own administrative direction, making the necessary rules as they go. The future bureaucrat and corporate executives learn that their opinion matters even more than the right answer! As with the working and middle classes, creativity is discouraged. But unlike the lower classes who are taught to follow the rules, executives are taught loyalty to the System and to the power, wealth, and control that it brings. The point isn't to wag fingers, however; the point is to simply point out, the ideas and archetypes you recieve depend on your class. This is important to understand if you want to properly heal and connect.

Additional content is available to LP members only. To get the full message, become a member, register and login.

-- Subscribe to new posts by visiting your profile. Click the edit button, scroll down to "subscribe to Forums" and click "subscribe."

As it turns out, the ideas you learn about life, the ways we work and behave, are different depending on the amount of money you have.

Okay. But to me it seems that more important than money is the question of status. Our social status is a mirror of our self-evidence. Meaning, it is what we think we are what makes or breaks a status, and not necessarily money. It is this status that acts as the powerful behavioral drive. If you think you "deserve" a throne and a scepter in your hand, be it by rights of blood, lineage or other "divine" justifications, then it matters little whether or not right now you find yourself in the shoes of a beggar. Your self-evidence preceeds your circumstances. Correlating status and state/circumstances happens at a later point. First comes the status, that is the true catalyst of what comes later. I want to clarify why I emphasized this.

Let's play a civilization building game. Like the game Civilizations III. Only a bit more complex, and the main part of the game is played out on the psychological plane. Psychological warfare, if you will it. But this war is a strange one. The war is rather one between the innate aptitude and urge of the PU to heal, and on the other hand the attempt to keep it weak, sick and controlable.

If you'd task me with making a civilization complacent and easy to manipulate I'd do the following:

First, I would create two social classes. I would do this mentally. I would link the social classes I invented with the identity of the population. Every human adopting one of the classes, identifying with it.

Next, I would think of the right ratio between the classes. This ratio is of quintessential importance with respect to the interplay of the Mode of Production and the Mode of Accumulation. If the mode of Accumulation superexceeds the Mode of Production, then severe social friction is guaranteed. On the long run, the system will crash. With other words, if too many people want to play king and queen, and too few accept the role of servant, hard worker, then we end up with too few ressources for the successfull realization of the specific images the roles represent. Especially the "top" role cannot be expressed into reality, because of lack of ressources. Thus, careful thinking of the ratio between the roles is a must. Interestingly, the roleplaygame (RPG) fails too, if the oposite happens. If the Mode of Production superexceeds the Mode of Accumulation, the RPG fails, too. Why? Well, it's because the whole thing is a RPG. As such, the System assigns roles to different parts of the population and builds its entire institutional, and ideational structure based on those roles. If the roles do not represent reality, then the system has a big problem. Actually many problems. Too long to go into that now. I just want to mention that every RPG is in need of a Reality Feedback Loop.

A Reality Feedback Loop is just what it sounds like. It is a loop that reminds you of the veracity of your identity that has been inserted via archetypes. It does this by shoving reality into your face. With other words, the story that has been constructed around your identity, cannot differ from reality too strongly, because cognitive dissonance ensues. At that point, people start asking questions, which is never good for the System.

It is plausible that any RPG is in need of a Reality Feedback Loop (RFL) because as the word RPG implies, humans take on identity - roles. It is imperative for existence of the game to get rid of the actual identities of the population. Finding your true self is never ever allowable, because you will bypass the entire game. Furthermore, the RFL will not work on you anymore, because you stopped identifying yourself with a specific preconceived role. So, every time you will experience negative parts of the RFL, instead of acting as enforcement/justification of your role (assuming here you have the role of servant), the RFL creates an internal urge to change the way things run. The RFL essentially goes like this: "See? I told you. This is how life IS! Don't ever doubt me again, child." Bypassing the RFL is slightly problematic for the game masters. System Creators probably understood this, and abused this for the sake of system maintenance. The Marginalize part in Obscure, Justify, Marginalize, Control, is possibly specifically cut out to solve the mentioned problem.

By the way, this possibly explains why a third social class emerged during the industrial revolution. During the industrial revolution the productive capacity of earth exploded. Due to this, the ratio between the asigned roles needed to change, too. Too much was produced, with too little effort, respectively too few people. Thus, we arrived at a point where more and more people from the "poor" fraction started to actually have stuff. Thus, their everyday experience stopped coinciding with the implanted images/archetypes that set their expectations.

Omg, need to go now. Couldn't finish my initial idea 🙁 Later perhaps.

Recent forum posts

Connection Experiments
Ben's Healing Journal
Falung Gong - Li Hongzhi
Connection Outcomes
Create your Personal Sacred Text
Everybody has a Connection Experi …
Everybody has a Mystical Experien …
"I" is for Ideology
The Healing Power of Connection S …
Chakras and their energy
Einstein - Religion and Science