Forums

Forum Navigation
You need to register and login to create and read (some) posts

Wild, Wild Country -- Weeds in the Garden of Eden

Additional content is available to LP members only. To get the full message, become a member, register and login.

-- Subscribe to new posts by visiting your profile. Click the edit button, scroll down to "subscribe to Forums" and click "subscribe."

I remember reading a book from Osho when I started out with spirituality. It was about 2-3 weeks after I started out.

I mean... I remember starting to read the book. After a chapter or two, I set it aside, or more precisely, into the bin. Luckily, just some days prior to this, I had read some books from the LP, providing a good sample of what healthy spirituality feels like.

Personally, I feel you are spot on with respect to Osho. A charlatan, who did alot of damage, or more precisely, channeled huge amounts of energies from the people and directed them against windmills, à la Don Quichotte.

Unwittingly, he acted as a System Agent. He acted as a system maintanence agent. All the attention, energy, hopes, and urges of the people, have been diverted into fruitless and senseless endeavors/ belief systems. This energy, of course, could have been used for the sake of an awakening revolution, but it has been wasted due to the "lead" of Osho. It wouldn't surprize me if this was one of the reasons he became popular in the first place. The PR/publication houses do hold an enormous power.

I have spoken to different people about Osho, and have encountered a wide range of opinion.  Personally, I am not sure I agree with Aim's sentiment that he was somehow a charlatan. Osho was an interesting and highly intelligent [and I would even say, highly connected] individual, who managed to get very, very far afield from his path. I haven't studied him or his actual teachings in depth, so it is probably not appropriate for me to have to much of an opinion about him.  But I can see how in LP terms, he was donning  [spwiki]The_Mantle_of_Spiritual_Authority[/spwiki] which requires holding him to a very high standard.

Regarding the happenings as documented in the show/book Wild Country... that is a difficult one to wrap one's head around. Additionally, I also feel it is important to distinguish between a spiritual teacher and their followers or the religion that springs up around them.

As an example: I am very interested in the concept of Kundalini, and I think that it is arguably the most fascinating phenomena known. But I also know that there is sort of a weird religion that sprang up around it, that consists of weird ritualistic practices and and a strange, watered-down, and arguably meaningless understanding of the subject. So that is one example.

But perhaps a better example is the case of Jesus. What if you blamed all the attrocities commited by Christianity on Jesus? Perhaps I am way off base with my assessment of Osho. (Note: I don't think I am so much 'holding some definitive opinion' on the subject as much as just exploring my own thinking on it.)

Additionally, one specific "issue" [question] I am working through in my mind right now is the question of whether the "bad things" about a person negate the "good" aspects of them & their works. I struggle with that relating to, for example, Bill Cosby, who I loved as a child b/c of his TV show Fat Albert -- which had a lot of positive and educational aspects to it. . But should all that [plus the other good things that Cosby] did be negated by the fact that he was secretely a serial rapist? I don't know, and the whole situation is difficult to reconcile in one's mind.

I am struggling with the same question relating to Swami Rami, who book i am reading called "Psychology and Yoga." It an interesting book, that contains many interesting ideas. But i seem to be having a lot of a mental confliction while reading it, because I know that Swami Rami was later exposed as a womanizer [at best] by #metoo movement.

So the case of Osho is similar to me. It is a huge complicated situation, and it is difficult for me to wrap my head around it. I am also trying to not be overly opinionated regarding topics that I am personally ignorant of. Most of what I know about Osho I learned from watching WIld Country, but personally I think that documentary wasn't really "about" Osho as a spiritual teacher or his teachings or his ideas. Instead, I think the documentary was more about Osho's followers and the weird and tragic events that happened in the US while he was here.

It is a tragic story, and I struggle to make sense of it all

https://www.kundalinisoftware.com May the people of this world be free.

Authentic self representation is what LP means. And I do think it is important to be engaged in constant self reflection in order to not become ungrounded or develop inflated egos. I admit I only know the story from the Netflix documentary, and suffice to say, I have met a many Osho types as educators, religious leaders, politicians, psychologists/psychiatrists etc. etc. who truly believe that they are doing the right thing but engage in activities or choices that go against the higher truths of what they believe in and are delivering. They think they are doing the right things, but when challenged or confronted with the truth of their beliefs and actions, they either become defensive or offensive. I think Osho was a product of his time and place. He attained a level of connection knowledge, which was refreshing, however because of his own undeveloped psyche, and the undeveloped psyches of his followers, he got in over his head and thus became confused.

G

Recent forum posts

The Pedagogy of the Upanishads
Greta Thunberg, the most dangerou …
What is Religion
The Human Superconductor
FINAL DRAFT of Rocket Scientists' …
Official Launch of the LP
Feedback Requested - The Five Kos …
The Family - Netflix Docuseries
Three Interesting Things Einstei …
Welcome to the Machine